Sweet Potato Savoury Pie
Matt Wells, vegan
|Prep time||5 minutes|
*Top tip to avoid gritty leeks! Soak the pieces in cold water to loosen any dirt, and then give them a good wash under the tap, shaking the colander well
- Vegetable peeler
- Chopping board and sharp knife
- Large saucepan
- Measuring spoons
- Tin opener
- Potato masher and wooden spoon
- Large lasagna dish or similar –it needs to be reasonably deep.
|3||large sweet potatoes (or combine potatoes as below)|
|2||or 2 large sweet potatoes|
|1||and large white potato, chopped into medium chunks|
|3||T||nutritional yeast flakes (engevita brand, available in health stores)|
|2||T||oil, olive or other type|
|1||large onion, diced|
|2||large carrots, diced|
|3||sticks celery, diced|
|2||small leeks, chopped lengthways then into chunks (to make semi-circles)*|
|1||courgette, cut into semi-circles|
|150||g||redwood’s vegan mince or other vegan mince eg realeat, fry’s or asda own brand|
|pinch chilli powder|
|1⁄2||allspice or cinnamon|
|120||g||cooked beans (half a tin) – aduki good, but try others like haricot or kidney|
|200||ml||strong vegan stock – eg use a green oxo or 1 tbsp marigold bouillon powder|
|1 1⁄2||tbsp||tomato purée|
|1 1⁄2||tbsp||soya sauce|
|oil spray or a little extra oil|
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the salt and the chopped potatoes.
- Bring to the boil again then cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 7.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pan, heat the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic carrot, celery, leeks, courgette and mushrooms to the hot oil and sauté (fry gently) for about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add the veggie mince and the spices and herbs, stirring in well. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and vegan stock, bring to the boil and cover.
- Add the tomato puree and soya sauce, stirring well.
- Cook the mixture for a few more minutes – it should start to thicken. If it starts to stick, add a little more hot stock or water.
- Drain the potatoes and mash. Stir in the yeast flakes and black pepper and mix well.
- If you are making this for one meal, bake it in a large lasagna dish.
- Otherwise, use 4-8 small oven-proof dishes. You can freeze some of them if you wish – defrost then cook in the usual way before.
- Grease whichever dishes you are using with low-cal spray or oil.
- Spoon the veggie mince mixture into the dish or dishes. Top with mashed sweet potato and use a fork to make nice patterns on the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven.